Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Beyond Categorical Thinking, a workshop at the UUCC

Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 12:45pm following worship services
with Rev. Keith Kron. Lunch will be available directly following the 2nd service and childcare will be provided.

Will the new minister hear me?
Will my concerns and needs be met?
Will the minister understand what I’m living with?
How will the community respond to our minister?


In answering these questions, a picture of the “ideal minister” (categorized by age, gender, gender identity, nationality, physical ability, race, and sexual orientation) comes to mind. With this picture in place, it can be easy to unintentionally exclude ministers who fall into certain categories. At times, as we get caught up in comparing candidates to our “picture,” we can even forget what it is we hoped for in a minister.

Beyond Categorical Thinking promotes inclusive thinking and helps prevent unfair discrimination in the ministerial search process. The congregation will learn more about its institutional culture, examine ways it can be more inclusive in its consideration of ministerial candidates, and surface subtle and often unintentional, unconscious biases members hold that may result in a decision to not select the minister who would be the best fit for their ministerial needs. Beyond Categorical Thinking encourages the healing of oppressive dynamics that divide us and prevent us from sharing our real gifts with each other.

The selection of a minister is important to all of us, and this workshop is another opportunity for everyone in our congregation to be a part of that process. Please join us on Sunday, February 1st!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had heard Rev Kron last week. I was deeply moved by the tape of his "Beyond Categorical Thinking" sermon, and it has prompted me to tell part of my story, which I hope is helpful to the search for an "uncategorical" minister.

Here's my story: I joined a UU church in the Boston area about 12 years ago, at about the same time a new ministerial intern, Laurie, became part of the community. Laurie caused much consternation in the congregation, because she didn't look like a minister--she is an openly transgender person, a lesbian, and she looks and dresses like a man. For several years, Laurie was a friend to my family and especially to my son, who at the time was 10 year old and having issues with gender identity. I especially remember the afternoon of the church talent show. My son had signed up to lip synch to the song "I Will Survive", and he wanted to wear a wig, heels, and a sleeveless black dress. What's a mother to do? I talked with Laurie. I was worried that there would be stunned silence during my son's performance. "Don't worry, I'll take care of it," Laurie assured me. She helped my son get dressed and led him to the stage. The MC announced the piece, and my son started strutting his stuff, most enthusiastically. After a few seconds, one person started clapping to the beat--it was Laurie. A few others followed, and soon everyone was clapping, swaying, and nodding. Grins were everywhere. At the end, the MC announced, "only at a Unitarian Universalist church, ladies and gentlemen!", a line which was met with thunderous applause.

Yes, only at a UU church. A place of where we are encouraged in our journeys of wholeness. My son will graduate from college in 100 days, and he will then pursue a doctorate in musicology. His tastes in music have diversified, and he's found joy in everything from Baroque opera to Benjamin Britten. He is a whole person--a singer, a scholar, a gay young man who's giving back to the community.

I can't thank Laurie enough, and hope that you will find an uncategorical minister like her--someone who can tell her story and help each of you shape your own stories.

Unitarian Universalist Community Church said...

Thank you so much for sharing this very moving story with us. I have a 9 year old and a 14 year old so it really hits home. --Deb Fahy, Secretary of the Search Committee